Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Stay Tuned

Hello, darlings.  Today, I have a bit of a job interviewy thing going on, so I spent a good deal of yesterday preparing.  I did not have the time I would like to have to devote to a new post, but I want to stick to my Monday, Wednesday, Friday release schedule.  I have a lot of things to write about, so that's no worry.  Friday, I do believe I will be publishing a piece about Richard McGuire's Here.

~On Friday~  


Here was released when I was writing my Master's thesis in which I defended a certain definition of comics from a bunch of criticisms in the philosophy of comics literature.  You can imagine my horror, then, when a high-profile, very well-received comic came out that was a perfect embodiment of a comic which violated major intuitions we have about storytelling in comics.  Ultimately, I believe Here actually cuts deep to the heart of a good definition, rather than being something which violates it.  That's not to say Here doesn't push boundaries; rather, it pushes them on its way to the heart of what makes this form so effective and resonant.

What I write on Friday, however, won't be about any of this technical drivel.  It will be a rather more personal piece than I am likely to write many other times; but, that's just the kind of reaction that I believe Here inspires.  And damnit if that isn't really beautiful and cool.

~Wednesday (today!), Elsewhere~

 

I have been writing at Comic Bastards for well over a year.  I stumbled ass-backwards into some Twitter account and then e-mailed Dustin, the dude who runs the site, a fucking wall of text because I really wanted to write about comics.  Throughout the day today I will have five or six reviews going up.  Be on the lookout in particular for my review of Island #6, which I was particularly happy with.  I mean, I got to write about furries.

Check out other reviews while you're there.  There are wildly divergent tastes and some damn good writers.

~Subscribe and Stuff~

 

The blog isn't going anywhere, and I have a lot of really great stuff lined up.  Subscribe via RSS or e-mail, and follow me on Twitter if either of those things scare you more than me tweeting about Age of Empires II.  Or just follow me anyway.  Whatevs.  It's all you.

~Tell Your Friends About Me~

 

Read that in a Chris Tucker voice.  From the end of Rush Hour.  You know, when he takes the gun from the guard and then knocks him out. 

Ok bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment